Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The beginning

So I've decided to create a blog since I am about to start on the voyage of a life altering experience. I have had hypothyroidism since 2000. After my radioactive iodine ablation, I gained nearly 100 pounds. After trying to get my thyroid levels under control for 7 years, they finally became normal levels but I was experiencing issues with not ovulating or having a monthly cycle. After six months of dealing with that, the doctors finally looked into it and determined that I have polycystic ovary syndrome. That in turn causes insulin resistance and that prevents me from losing weight and puts me in high risk for diabetes. So, while all of the referrals to endocrinologists and other doctors is happening, I have been trying to get a referral to a gastric bypass surgeon. I tried for two years while living in Altus, Oklahoma. The doctor was just refusing to give me the referral to the surgeon. He leaves, I see a different doctor and she finally gives me what I want. After years of being morbidly obese with a number of medical problems caused from obesity and preventing weight loss, I finally prevailed! I recently went and saw the gastric bypass surgeon. (August 20, 2008) and he said that I qualified, we have to wait on insurance approval, than we can set up a date. They weighed me at my consult, weight to date, 281 lbs. I was so disgusted. But, the good news, we ARE getting the surgery and getting it sooner than I thought. There are some stipulations and things that I must follow prior to surgery. Some of those things are, quit smoking. Which is my number one priority and damn, it's difficult. Second, protein diet, one protein drink in the morning for breakfast, a small salad with some chicken or ham for lunch, and than for dinner, another protein drink. Ugh, this is going to miserable. I am still coming to my senses with this one. Last of all, attend at least one support group meeting, and exercise one hour a day everyday, (I normally do that but not how he wants me to). This is just the beginning and I am praying for an ounce of support from everyone. My ideal goal is to lose approximately 130-150 lbs which would put me at 150-130. So I guess that means, half of who I am now! I will be updating on my weight loss, my feelings, and my thoughts about this. I also decided to use my mother in law's example and not post or send anyone pictures of myself after I have the surgery. I will be taking pictures but will not post, I intend on blogging about my weight loss but until I reach my goal weight, I will not be showing any pictures of myself. (Let's see how that one works, I may get impatient and overexcited that I HAVE to show everyone how drastic I changed).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Luck! Any idea how soon they can schedule the surgery?

Matt